Friday, December 7, 2012

Information vs. Conversation

A friend of mine was complaining about how she hates texting.  Actually it’s receiving text messages she seems to have a problem with.  Her issue is she often cannot grasp the emotional context of text messages.  “They always seem angry”, she said.

So I took to paying more attention to my received messages and, yes, most are abbreviated to the max.  They are stark, pointed and terse.  I love them.

You see, I see texting purely as passing along information.  No composition, no spell checking just “here it is let’s get back to work”.  I like texting for the exact reason I can’t stand IM’ing.  Where Instant Messaging is the worst of email with the worst of texting, pure texting was designed to pass along quick hits of information.

“at rest in corner by palm”

“in traf b thr in 10”

“r u home?”

 “go 2 espn quick”

Also, I don’t really use emoticons, I’m much too old to learn a completely new language.

I also agree with the old Lance Armstrong (sorry, guilty but still relevant) Radio Shack commercial where as the “Chief Mobility Officer” he dictates that no one over the age of 30 is allowed to use emoticons.  You know, the smiley faces

J

Texting was not designed for long, thoughtful, emotional conversations.  Frankly, neither is email.  If you want a conversation then pick up the phone or get face-to-face.

What I’m seeing is texting is becoming prevalent in the business world, which is fine as long as it’s used for information.

“part shipped today”

“confirming mtg 9AM Wed”

“flight delayed”

It shouldn’t be used for introductions, goodbyes, anything HR related, sarcasm or any emotion.  Although it could be a cool way to break up with someone.

;-)

 

No comments: