Sunday, April 13, 2008

Just shoot me


There's something intrinsically therapeutic about choosing to spend your time in a wide, open park- like setting that non-golfers can never truly understand. Charles Rosin

I try to keep this site as neutral as possible when it comes to race, religion, sexual preference or gender. However, the first part of this one will speak primarily to men. Others will have to derive their own analogy to fit.

I love to play golf but when it comes to watching golf I limit it mainly to The Masters, The British Open, and any tournament played on a course I’ve been privileged enough to have played. Otherwise I use golf like baseball, for napping.

While watching The Masters my dear wife decided to become interested in competitive, televised golf….for an hour. “Who’s ahead?”, “Where’s Tiger?”, “Why is -2 better than +2?”, “Why is that guy spending so much time looking at his ball?”, “This is stupid!”.

*sigh*

I know, I know. What a great opportunity to interest your wife in one of your hobbies, to spend some time together explaining something you understand to someone who doesn’t, yada yada. The great thing about watching golf is you don’t have to actually watch it, you can sort of hang around doing other things (like writing this blog). So when someone asks you a detailed question about something they just observed on the TV there’s a good chance your answer is “Uh, what?” Then they try to explain what they saw, but without being able to interpret it correctly and then, the whole conversation becomes a stressed, tense, marital experience. So much for a relaxing weekend afternoon.

That was Saturday. Today, on Masters Sunday, I’m going to put this damned PC away, we’re going to cook food together, have our kids over for dinner, and I’m going to watch The Masters with my wife instead of in spite of her.

You see, resistance to concentrating time and attention at home will directly correspond to the same trait at work with colleagues. Both are wrong and both are risky.

No comments: