Friday, March 20, 2015

The Capital of Talent

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I could say, ‘I used everything you gave me’” Erma Bombeck

I love Thursday nights. Thursday is when, more often than not, I meet up with a few local buddies and have a couple of drinks and a cigar. They’re a great group, all local business people with long ties to the community. They’re funny and passionate about life and just a real pleasure to be around.

It’s not unusual that one of my quotes comes out of these little therapy sessions but the other night I got a real gem.

Since we’d already solved most of the big life problems we were on to more mundane things like entertainers. During this my friend George said, “You know, talent is a funny thing. You use it, people pay for it, and then you still have it”.

What?
Let's play that again, "You use it, people pay for it, and then you still have it".
 
Since then, without success, I’ve been trying to come up with any piece of capital that can proclaim this.

Use, receive, keep”
Wow.

So, let me try to get my feeble little mind around this. The most important asset you can possess is talent because the more you use it the more you realize the capital of it and the more you still have it.

So then, the key is to develop your talent – whatever that talent is – to the fullest extent. The more talent – or collection of talents – you have the more capital you can obtain but you still have it afterwards.

Where was this class in school?????

Talent, in my opinion, is what our country should be focusing on. Talent is what your state should be focusing on. Talent is what your business should be focusing on.

Talent is absolutely what you should be focusing on.

No comments: