Sunday, February 7, 2010

The LBV Chronicles

Kim and founding team memebers: Heidi, Shirley, Mark, Matt & Matt

Episode 5: If the phone doesn’t ring, it’s me

“Phone line works both ways, big boy” David J. Kleehamer

Phones are amazing devices. From when I was a kid on the farm watching my grandmother listen in on conversations on the party line to today when people are so connected they can barely function. Part of my amazement is that the act of communicating is arguably worse now than before even though people seem to being talking all the time. One morning while waiting to cross the street during morning commute time I counted twelve cars. Nine of the drivers were on their cell phones. My thought was, “who can they possibly be talking to?” They just left the house; it’s too early to be one the phone with the office. Maybe they’re all talking to each other. Most probably they’re leaving messages that say “call me”, also known as giving someone the “telephone monkey”. See Operator.

One thing that suffered while starting LBV was keeping connected with people. I became one of the people I criticized in this post. – One More Time - in that I didn’t initiate contact and ignored or avoided incoming attempts because either I was in the middle of something or I was too worn out to want to engage in conversation. But really another big reason I avoided calls was I got really tired of talking about how the building/business was coming along. It’s flattering that everyone was interested but talking about it constantly drained my enthusiasm. I guess it’s how public figures must feel when they have to answer the same questions continuously. “So George, what’s your new movie about?” “Stephen, tell me about your new book.” “Mr. President, what does your teleprompter say about the new health care package?” (Sorry…)

Frankly there’s another element involved in being constantly quizzed that I’ll cover in Episode 6 but the fact is phones are amazing, totally necessary and a large pain in the ass.

Speaking of phones, I ended Episode 4 saying that one way I was lucky in putting LBV together was by returning a phone call. I was lucky in that it was early in the process before I tired of too much phone. But I did return this message to “call me” and is how I met the young lady who became the Managing Partner and such an instrumental part of LBV. She has not only brought amazing knowledge of wine and food as well as a great network of people in the business but she has also brought vision, spirit and passion. As indicated in Episode 2 I’ve been asked many times if having a wine bar was always a dream of mine. Where my honest answer is “no, not really” her honest answer is “yes, always!”

I’m a big believer in the power of passion. I once wrote “Education is nice. Experience is nice too. As for me I'll bet on the person with vision, passion and that magic touch every single time.” I also wrote in Episode 2 that it’s turned out way better than I expected. She’s a big reason for that and I’m glad I was lucky and returned that call.

So the lesson here is return phone calls, you never know.

Next: Episode 6: So many helping hands

No comments: