Friday, April 17, 2015

The Glue of the Universe


Oh, I don't know, could it be.... SATAN? The Church Lady

A good friend of mine’s father-in-law passed away unexpectedly. He’s been married for a long time and had a great relationship with his wife’s father so it was very much like losing one of his own parents.

But, the gentleman had had a rich and full life and the end was pretty quick and pretty painless. Pretty much what we all hope for really.

In talking through the entire experience he related how the ladies of their church essentially swept in, took control, handled the myriad details then cleaned up and swept away leaving everything a bit tidier than when they arrived.

The only proper response was “God Bless church ladies”.

After hanging up I continued to replay the conversation and it struck me that just maybe the real glue of the universe is not scientific or cosmic in makeup, but church ladies. I’m not totally sure in my own mind that if groups like church ladies didn’t exist that everything might just come apart. Kind of the equivalent of if everyone on the plane all stopped believing it could fly at the same time it would fall to the ground.

Further, I think most every good organization I’ve ever been in has had their corporate version of church ladies. The client services group that made all problems disappear, the field techs who made even the most difficult customer smile, the close-knit development group that drove me insane by taking my requirements as merely a suggestion and building a release that was much better than the specifications.

Notice how I’ve never mentioned any of the well-heeled and glamorous job titles. In fact those people and groups are usually the alcohol trying to dissolve the glue. But they can’t, because the church ladies are more powerful.

Yep, God Bless church ladies.

No comments: