Friday, August 21, 2015

You can't fix stupid

"You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. Ron White

It seems like I've spent a large portion of my so-called career trying to fix stupid. Stupid products, stupid situations, stupid clients, stupid vendors, and yes, stupid people. The comedian Ron White uses the "you can't fix stupid" line in one of his routines when talking about finding the right person to marry with the point being that these days you can fix almost any physical issue with your mate, but "you can't fix stupid".

A few years ago I was in a situation where I had spent the better part of two years trying to fix stupid and it finally came to me that I was the leader of the pack. The only thing worse than spending more than a minute and a half trying to fix someone who is hell-bent on being stupid is realizing that you've just wasted months of your life trying to do the impossible.

I was talking to a buddy a while back who was struggling with a non-performer, a sales guy who hasn't sold anything in nearly a year. So, I'm wailing on my buddy about what part of "nothing" and "nearly a year" he's not latching on to. All of a sudden I realize that I did not have the high ground in this conversation because I've spent twice that time on a more hopeless situation.

So, here's my resolution and a modification of the "you can't fix stupid" rule. I solemnly resolve to never again make more than a cursory swipe at fixing stupid people. I'll take on stupid situations, stupid circumstances and maybe even stupid products but not stupid people. Life's too short.

The modification: You CAN fix stupid if it's yourself.

2 comments:

bob said...

Interesting post - I've responded at ack/nak.

Unknown said...

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed man!

Thanks for the laughs (and all the fish!)

Nice to see you blogging -- keep up the good work!