Friday, October 23, 2015

Busy. Busy. Busy.

"In every death, a busy world comes to an end"  Mason Cooley

I've said before that I don't have many pet peeves, but I'm beginning to think that may not be true.  Some day I'll have to put a list together.

Yet another common one - and this is no surprise - is people.  As I wrote in a previous blog Drive By Shootings the self-absorbed, monomaniac individuals who you have trouble ignoring for various business or personal reasons are the worst.

What I'm experiencing at an increased rate right now is the "I'M SO BUSY" monomaniac.

"Well Greg, I know I was supposed to get back to you two weeks ago with that proposal but I'M SO BUSY."

"Yes Greg, I know you're waiting on that appraisal but I'M SO BUSY."

"Y'know Greg, I really meant to get you that estimate on fixing the air conditioner but I'M SO BUSY."

"Sorry Greg, I know you're waiting on my bid but I'M SO BUSY."

On and on and on.

But where they say "I'm so busy" what I hear each and every time is "You see Greg, me and my time we're really important and valuable and you and your time is not, so why don't you just piss off."

So here's what I'm doing.  Each time I hear I'M SO BUSY the very next thing I do before anything else is to call as many other people as I can to get another option.  And, if I can get an option that is within at least 10% of the current deal I take it.

And you know what?  Out of respect I don't even call the person to tell them I've taken another offer or chosen another option.  Because after all, they're busy.

So be careful.  If you (and thus your company) projects the image of being "too busy" you won't come off as being important or essential.  You'll just come off as being too hard to do business with.

No comments: