Monday, January 11, 2010

The LBV Chronicles


Episode 1: The beginning of the beginning

“But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.” Mitch Albom

In late October 2009 Leaf, Barley & Vine opened to the public (http://www.leafbarleyvine.com/). Spring boarding off my Tales from an XOD blog I’ve decided to write about the experience. Partly to capture key points in case I ever want to do it again, partly to share the lessons learned, partly to put salve on some of the wounds, and partly to amuse myself. Actually reverse the order.

Episode 1 is a preamble to set the stage.

In 1999 I got talked into buying a decrepit ex-gas station/transmission shop which was subsequently remodeled and in which my late wife Bonnie opened her business. Once completed we often talked about what a cool wine bar it would make given its European motif and its large patio area. But her business caught the wave and liquor licenses were tough to come by so over the next eight years her business expanded and thrived. The adjoining property was bought, the building expanded and a cool loft apartment that was built above. Things progressed until Bonnie was diagnosed with cancer in 2004 and the business was shut down in April 2008 prior to her passing away that September.

When Bonnie was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in June 2004 – accurately described as a “treatable but incurable” cancer – the plan was to sell the business, sell the building and enjoy as much time as possible trying to cram 30 years into a handful. Through a series of events – some evil, some naïve, some unfortunate – neither the business nor the building got sold. Eradicating the business was straight-forward. The inventory was sold off, bills were paid and there was even a surplus. The building was much more problematic.

The aftermath of losing a spouse, friend, partner and compass was one of getting through the holidays with the kids and I offering essential support to each other. But once into January 2009 I was faced with a fact that had all the finesse of a ball peen hammer between the eyes. I had totally missed my opportunity to sell the building prior to the collapse of the economy, which was felt more here in Michigan than any other state,

Winter is tough in a lot of places. Here in Southeastern Michigan it’s brutal. It’s cold, dark, cloudy, has too much snow but not enough to make it a “winter wonderland” I’m personally amazed there’s not more suicides around here, but I figure people in that mood just drive around Detroit for a couple of hours and become a victim. Much better for insurance purposes.

So it’s January. I’m sitting on a cold, empty building that probably won’t sell and will be tough to burn.

This is where I found myself one year ago today

Next: Episode 2: The Interview

No comments: