Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I QUIT!!!!



"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things." Robert Montgomery Knight


I got a call from a friend the other day telling me how much he enjoyed my blog. I was flattered. He then proceeded to launch into the 973 ways I could improve it and if I dedicated more of my attention (and his suggestions) to the site that it could "become viral" and "become my profession" and "wouldn't that be cool".

Thus, following the lead of the person I've most admired over the years, The General. I QUIT....

Let me explain. Bob Knight and I showed up on the Indiana campus the same year and were both met with about the same amount of acclaim. He was a young coach from Army whose greatest claim to fame was playing college ball alongside John Havlicek at Ohio State. My credentials were...uh...less.

Over the next many years I came to enjoy RMK for many reasons: the undefeated 1976 season, the National Championships, the candy-striped warm ups. But most of all because here was a guy who got to do what he wanted for a living, get paid great money for it and....best of all....do it on his terms. Yeah, yeah, don't bore me with the trangressions. I've heard them all and actually know them better than you do.

So this week, in the middle of the season, Coach Knight "retired". On his terms. Now, I've not talked to Bob about his decision but I'll bet that somewhere in his decision process is the element "it had become A JOB". And the minute it became A JOB he was out.

Well, same thing. The minute this blog thing becomes A JOB...I'm out.

See ya' Coach. College basketball just became a lot less interesting.

No comments: