Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blogging vs. Life


Never rise to speak until you have something to say, and when you have said it, cease." John Witherspoon

I got a call from an old friend wanting to talk to me about blogging. He’s getting ready to launch a blog through his business site and incorrectly assumed that since I publish a blog that I know something about the subject.

However, I didn’t tell him otherwise and, per usual, starting making things up as we spoke. This is great fun and I get great joy out of occasionally having someone later on say to me “Hey, remember that great advice you gave me several months ago, well I followed it and it worked out great”.

“Really?” “Wow!” Maybe I should pay more attention to what I’m saying, huh?

Anyway, I passed on to him what others passed on to me about creating a blog. Essentially:

Speak about things of which you have knowledge

Concentrate on topics that interest you.

Don’t start it if you’re not committed to continuing it.

Make sure you have enough material in the bank for when the Idea ATM runs dry.

If you’re only purpose is self-promotion, no one will probably pay attention.

Hmmm…now that I think about it that’s a pretty good list to follow for just about anything. Life, work, love, hobbies, et al. Probably if we all followed that little blog roadmap we’d all be better off.

I’ve already written about one of my favorite “corporate” blogs. Catch. Here’s another. Art Petty. Art is a self-admitted blog fanatic and cranks one out on a daily basis. They’re good, topical, focused and he’s certainly committed. Anyone in a management position (or striving to be) should put this one in your favorites.

No comments: